Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What's In A Name?

As a writer of the young adult genre, it is my duty to observe and report the latest trends among the teens I come into contact with. This way when it's time to set pen to paper, I can rest assured my characters have an air of authenticity most important in story telling. This past weekend I discovered an alarming trend among girls of this age group. And I do mean scary. It has been brought to my attention that it is common practice for some young women to assign names to a certain body part that travels in a team (not the eyes, ears, arms, legs or feet.) Terms of endearment, I suppose. One girl in particular I spoke with has come to refer to hers as "Kourtney & Khloe" seeing as how she's a huge Kardashian fan. I can see the sense in that...I suppose. Anyway it got me to thinking. When it comes to our female assets, just what IS in a name?
I also began to conjure up some ideas for folks hard pressed to chose something relevant to their lives. Feel free to borrow any of the following:

For the Disney fan: Lilo & Stitch
For the pop culture television enthusiast: Ross & Rachel
For the nomadic by nature: East & West & for the older nomad: South East & South West (think about it)
For the musically minded: Hall & Oates
For the woman who had hers specially made: Dollars & Cents
For the foodie: Spaghetti & Meatballs
For the current affairs addict: Hannity & Colmes
and for grins & giggles: Laurel & Hardy

I could go on and on. But I won't. I MUST put an end to this madness. I have decided to refrain from addressing this particular habit in my stories. Seems pointless and not at all what William S. had in mind when he posed that elusive query.

Okay my tongue is out of my cheek now. My most sincere apologies...
Hope you cracked a smile anyway! PS - Please do not abandon me, yet.






No comments:

Post a Comment