Sunday, March 27, 2011

OMG, FYI it's JMHO

So of course you've heard by now that the dictionary has graciously agreed to include the likes of these popular abbreviations. Go ahead, LOL, but I kid you not. It's surely a sign of the times. And far be it for me to ever be lagging behind the latest and greatest in word-wear. As someone who spends a great many hours seeking the exact right turn of phrase, a new word or two might actually come in handy. Let's face it they've all been done to death, haven't they? Take LOVE for example. Those four letters have been used, re-used and abused more often than another four-letter ditty I can think of. (WTF is blogger referring to now?) The world may be ready for another word that would stand for the "profoundly tender, passionate attraction for another person or thing." Or not.

Look, I'm no English snob. I can appreciate the modern vernacular, even at those moments when it seems I can't quite figure out what it means. Still, I am wistful. Some small part of me clings to the notion that the language I've been raised on, taught so carefully and now manipulate with equal parts joy and (occasional) frustration should remain unscathed by current cultural fads. Either way, I'm told I need to GOI (get over it.)
Change is a good thing, right?
Or not....

No comments:

Post a Comment